Tuesday, January 4, 2011

scal-pals

cutting away skin is a form of mutilation
tearing back the shell that hides your good things
the weird part is, the shell is prettier than the insides
skin can scar, tan, freckle, wrinkle, be coarse, smooth, and tender
but insides are always red, puffy, bloody, sensitive
easy to hurt
they don't scar easily
and no matter how hard to try to tighten your zippers and button your buttons
your skin can scar and tighten and strengthen
but your heart will always be fragile
your stomach can ulcer, twist, shrink and grow
your liver can darken, shrivel, and die
but something will wriggle its way in
find a dark corner and turn out your insides
this soft flesh is not armor
its just there to keep the stage clean
like curtains
or is it the other way around?

I wish i could love my insides
they are supposed to matter
but sometimes they just turn to jello
or stink
or maggots
and I turn stupid
or gross
or rotten
and I just wish I could control it.

I'll just get more zippers
and fasten some locks.

you cant break me,
only i can

No comments:

Post a Comment